What is Physics Phenom?
How do you nominate someone?
Throughout the year when any member of the department witnesses a staff going above and beyond their standard job responsibilities in the areas of collegiality, innovation, mentorship, professionalism, special projects, and teamwork, they are encouraged to nominate them to receive the Physics Phenom award:
- Select their name from the drop-down list on the Award web page.
- Write up to 250 words describing this staff member’s achievement and accomplishments.
- Optional: Forward your nomination to that staff person’s faculty and/or administrative manager so that regardless of whether they win the award, their great work is recognized in a timely fashion.
How is the Physics Phenom awardee determined?
Award recipients are determined by majority vote cast by faculty and staff, with consultation from the Chair and Director – no students at any level or research scholars will be allowed to cast a ballot in this vote.
How does the voting for the Physics Phenom take place?
The nomination period will close for a two week window when all members of the department who are eligible to vote (described above) will be sent an email with a link to a Qualtrics survey, where they will be able to review all the nominees and the full text of the nominator’s explanation for why this person should receive the Physics Phenom award, and invited to log on to the Staff iSite to cast their ballot. Only the Department Chair and Director of Administration will be notified of the one individual who received the most votes during each annual voting period. Two way (or more) ties will be decided at the discretion of the Chair and Director. Excerpts from the nominations will be sited during the award presentation ceremony.
- a cash prize in the amount of $100;
- a commemorative citation that will be presented by the Director of Administration and Department Chair;
- a copy will be posted on a Staff Appreciation bulletin board.
Restrictions and Parameters:
The moniker of Physics Phenom is awarded for the period of time from July to June. Past Physics Phenoms will not be eligible to receive the award again until two rounds of subsequent Phenoms have been awarded (twelve months).
back to the Physics Phenoms Page