Building Services FAQs

text separator
  • How do I report a non-emergency maintenance issue?
    Please fill out the Non-Emergency Work Request Form.
  • Whom do I contact if my problem can't wait (e.g., burst pipe)?
    Contact Harvard University Operations Center: (617) 495-5560.
  • What do I do in case of real emergency?
    Please call 911 immediately. You can also contact the EH&S’s team of environmental health and safety experts 24/7 at (617) 495-2060.
  • I hear an alarm siren. What shall I do?
    - Please use one of the Emergency Exit routes posted in your location. Do not use elevators!
    - The Primary Meeting Location is the Law School courtyard behind Jefferson & Lyman. Move at least 100 feet away from the building. Secondary Meeting Location: Science Center - main lobby inside building.
  • How do I report crime or suspicious activity?
    Contact the Harvard Police Department: (617) 495-1212.
  • Where is the Department of Physics located?
    Most of our labs, classroms and offices are located in Jefferson and Lyman Laboratory buildings, with some additional lab and office space in Cruft Lab, Laboratory for Integrated Science and Engineering (LISE), and the Northwest Building. For directions, see this page.
  • How can I obtain access to the Department of Physics buildings?
    - Physics graduate students, faculty, postdocs, and staff have access to all outside doors and the library.
    - Other research scholars and official visitors: please have your group's administrator download, fill out and sign the Key Access Request Form on your behalf, then submit it to the Physics Reception (Jefferson 360). Allow at least 48 hours for processing.
    - Undergraduate physics concentrators: please follow the procedure above, but have David Morin sign the form.
    - Those not affiliated with physics department may obtain keys and cards only on written request from a faculty or staff member.
    Anyone who violates the Physics building rules risks the loss of all building access. Keys to Physics Department facilities are for your personal use only. Duplication or loaning of any Physics building keys or cards is a very serious offense.
  • How can I obtain access to LISE?
    - Please fill out the LISE access request form and email it to the address provided.
  • I already have access to the physics buildings. How can I obtain access to a specific lab or facility?
    - Have your group's administrator fill out and sign the Key Access Request Form on your behalf and indicate which facilities you need access to, then submit it to Physics Reception (Jefferson 360). Allow at least 48 hours for processing.
    - Machine Shop tap access requires direct approval from Stan Cotreau.
  • Where can I park my car?
    There are no visitor parking spaces near the Physics Department. Parking elsewhere is sometimes available for a fee. Go to the University Transportation and Parking website for further information.
  • Where can I leave my bike?
    There are several bicycle racks outside Jefferson and Lyman. Two are in front of Jefferson by the entrance to Jefferson 250. Also, there is one against the rear north wall of Jefferson, and two are under the "bridge" to Cruft at the north end of Lyman.
    Please note: bicycles left in corridors and entranceways to our buildings will be removed at owner’s expense.
  • Where are the accessible entrances to physics buildings?
    The are two accessible entrances equipped with automatic openers in the area: in Lyman Lab and LISE. Please consult the Harvard University Campus Map and look for this symbol:
    map symbol
  • How can I book a room for an event, seminar, section, oral/defense, party, etc., in one of the Physics buildings?
    Please use the RoomBook System for all room requests. Make sure you specify exactly what the reservation is for (for example, when booking for sections, please say Physics 15a – Section).  
  • How do I find the best room for my needs?
    RoomBook gives you some information about various venues available. For additional details and photos, use the Media & Technology Services Room Information pages.

    Please do not book Jefferson 450 (the Physics Library) for classes or lectures. It can be set up for luncheons, parties, poster sessions, and other gatherings, but please consult with Jolanta Davis before submitting your request. Please also note that the department does not accept requests from non-Physics groups for Jefferson or Lyman space on the weekends and late in the evenings. All other non-academic requests from non-Physics groups are subject to approval.
  • Who can make a booking?
    Physics rooms are only available to Physics faculty, research scholars, students and staff. Requests from other departments will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
  • What else do I need to know about booking rooms?
    Please note that rooms are not generally available during University holidays, recessess or final exams.  During finals, bookings discontinue in case the Registrar needs our rooms for exams.  Please remember that even if you have traditionally used a certain room at a set day/time, you can't count on it being available in the next semester.  Academic courses may bump your reservation at the beginning of the term, so please make sure that your reservation is still on the calendar, especially within the first two weeks of classes.
  • Whom can I contact for help?
    - For general questions, contact Jolanta Davis.
    - To schedule room setup and breakdown for your event, fill out the Non-Emergency Work Request Form.
    - If you have trouble using the A/V system in any of the rooms, or if you need training,  please contact Education Support Services.
  • What help is there for people who need assistive technologies?
    Please consult the web page for the ESS Assistive Technology Center. The website has a lot of useful information on accessibility issues. You may also want to visit the Accessible Education Office.”
  • Where are the photocopiers?
    There are three copy machines for the physics community: a large copier outside Jefferson 250, a slightly smaller one in the mail room at Jefferson 357, and a small copier at Lyman 327.
  • How do I get help with the copiers?
    The copiers are supported by HUIT. However, the department handles service calls and supplies.
    - For help with printing to a copier or scanning to folders or USB drive, please contact
    - For copier mechanical problems (e.g., copier not working) or supply issues (out of toner or paper), please notify the administrative offices: (617) 495-2872.
  • I need to take photographs or videotape an event on campus. What do I do?
    Request Permit from Harvard Media Relations office.
  • Do you have Lost and Found?
    - Yes we do. If you are looking for an item you have lost, or found an item, please contact the Reception: (617) 495-2872.
    - If you lost your ID card, please notify the Building Services immediately, either by filling out the Maintenance Request Form, or by calling 5-2874 or 6-5030. For information on card replacements, see the Campus Service Center page.
  • What information is there on composting and recycling?
    - For general information, consult The Complete Guide to Recycling, Composting, Zero Waste at Harvard.
    - To recycling of large items and metal, please fill out the Maintenance Request Form.
    - For further information, contact the FAS Green Program.